A note on this blogs format - I will not hide my drafts until they are ready. All my writing will be displayed as soon as it's down in bits and bytes. Posts will be labeled Draft and Final according to my view on the topic.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Purpose of the blog

Kristin Shoemaker at OSATIC references a great article (post?) written by Bruce Byfield at Datamation. The post, called "Nine Attitude Problems in Free and Open Source Software" is a synopsis of the current challenges, most of complacency and focus, that he sees in the FLOSS world. The bullet point that hits home for me also provoked Kristin's post. Bruce Byfield thinks that FLOSS proponents have been preaching the trees for the forest. For every FLOSS advocate, much of the tenor of that advocacy has been of the "Woah! This tech is so cool. Look what I/you/we can do" with one particular piece of software. Byfield and Shoemaker urge the FLOSS community to instead start rephrasing the pitch more akin to the way the recycling movement has done. Focus on positive externalities and not the process.

That's what I want to do with this blog. I want to convince people (I'll start with a person) to start experimenting with FLOSS because of the ideals. FLOSS organizatinal structure is ready made for volunteer-dependent non-profits. It's a shame and it's beyond time to fix this problem.

No comments: